There are eleven members of Whitchurch Village Council who are subject to an election every four years, the last one being held in 2019. If any vacancies occur during the four years members can be co–opted onto the Council to fill these places.
Councillor Details here
Code of Conduct
What does the Village Council do?
Although the Village Council is the lowest tier of local government, it has responsibility for the whole parish and is an essential part of the structure of local democracy, having a vital role in acting on behalf of the community it represents. The Council has a wide range of powers which usually relate to local matters including:–
- Administration of open spaces, play areas, bus shelters, cemeteries, allotments.
- Assessment of planning applications and other proposals which may affect the parish
- Undertaking projects and schemes that benefit local residents
- Working in partnership with other bodies to achieve benefits for the parish
- Alert relevant authorities to any problems or work that needs to be undertaken
- Helping other tiers of local government keep in touch with their local communities
Village Council meetings
Village Council meetings are usually held on the 1st Wednesday of every month except August. They are normally held in the Whitchurch Village Community Centre, small hall and start at 7.30pm.
The agenda for each meeting is posted on the notice boards in the community centre and at the bus stop on Bristol Road. At the beginning of every meeting there is a public participation section. This provides an opportunity for members of the public to raise questions about and comment upon matters within the jurisdiction of the Council. The maximum time for this session is 30mins, 3mins per individual.
If you wish to speak please notify the Clerk in writing, no later than 24hrs before the meeting, with your name, address and subject matter. A request for an Item to be included on the agenda can be given to the Clerk or any of the Councillors prior to the next meeting.
Link to Meeting Dates
Accounts Annual Return
Annual Return for year ending 31st March 2020.
Click to view