Look out for your new wheeled bin or re-usable rubbish bag delivered to your home between 25 September and early November.
Preparations are moving forward for the new service.
What is changing and why?
From 6 November we will be collecting rubbish every other week in wheeled bins or re-usable bags for the majority of residents. Recycling, including food waste will continue to be collected weekly. The chargeable garden waste collections will remain every other week. The changes will help to keep the streets cleaner, increase recycling and make the services more affordable.
Find out your container allocation
In March we sent a letter out with the Council Tax bill to let you know what container you had been allocated. To check your allocation, enter your address at www.bathnes.gov.uk/recycle or contact Council Connect.
If you have a query with your allocation please contact Council Connect. Where households have 2 or more children in nappies, 6 or more people in their household or a clear medical need they may be able to apply for a larger bin.
If you need to change your allocation, please contact Council Connect on 01225 394000. They will talk through your needs, and then if appropriate pass on your request for change of container. We will contact you to let you know the outcome of your request. In the meantime, your original allocated container will be delivered to you before the start of the new collection as it will be too late to prevent this happening. If we have agreed to issue an alternative container, we will arrange to replace your original with your changed container.
What happens next?
- Week beginning 28 August – Royal Mail will deliver a leaflet to you giving you more information about the new service
- From 25 September to early November– we will deliver the wheeled bins/re-usable rubbish bags to 78,000 households. The bins will be delivered to the front edge of your property or your re-usable rubbish bag will be delivered to your door.
- do not put out your new bin/bag for collection until 6 November
- continue to put out your rubbish as you normally do until the new collection starts
- put out your rubbish for collection in your new bin/bag on your correct collection day from 6 November
Your bin/bag will be delivered with a welcome pack which will include further information about the new collection service including:
- How to use your new bin/bag collection
- Right day, right week collection calendar for 2017-18 – please check carefully as your collection day may have changed, so it’s even more important to make sure your recycling and rubbish is out by 7am. You can sign up now for text message reminders of when your new collection is due. Text your postcode to 07520 631700
- Details of Christmas and New Year changes
- How to make the most of your recycling collections
- 2 stickers to put on your recycling boxes to help you separate your recycling
Getting ready for the new service
- Please make sure you recycle all you can, including your food waste. You can order extra free recycling containers at www.bathnes.gov.uk/orderacontainer
If you prefer, from 7 August you can collect recycling containers at one of the three Recycling Centres, rather than wait for one to be delivered.
- Check our website for the latest updates. Check to see if your query is answered in over 30 FAQs we have on our website www.bathnes.gov.uk/recycle
- Visit one of our roadshows to see the new containers and find out more. Go to www.bathnes.gov.uk/roadshows for details and check on our website to find out where our display wheeled bins are.
- We are promoting re-usable nappies to help reduce waste. We are selling packs of Bambino Mio re-usable nappies for £150 (£100 less than the retail price).
- Resident’s packs – we are developing website materials you can download for free to help share messages with neighbours to advise them how to set out their waste etc. The website will explain this further and include a leaflet and tick-card to post to neighbours explaining how to use the service properly.
- Like our Facebook page www.facebook.com/recycleforbathnes to receive updates and tips.